5 Top Tips for keeping yourself, your family and your property secure
Keeping on top of house and home maintenance is a challenge for most people these days. I am sure I am not alone in wondering where all the leisure time has gone. Busy days turn into busy weeks and months and before you know it, it’s Christmas again!
We all put things aside, especially if they don’t seem too much of a priority at the time, so having a list on the fridge that you can see every time you grab the milk or cook a meal will spur you on to getting through all the chores. It could be the sense of elation you feel at seeing your task list reduce, or the guilt of not having crossed any off in the last 6 months! Whatever it is that spurs you on, being able to joyfully scribble off that last entry means you can relax in the knowledge that your time is once again your own – for a while at least!
Home security is often one of the lowest priorities of ‘things I must sort out’ for homeowners. It is often not until something triggers the need to review your home security that you will move it to the top of your list and make it a priority.
News of an increase in local burglaries, purchase of a high value item, or an incident which made you question the safety of your family in the home may be what has motivated you to address it, but whatever your requirements, Rocks Locks can provide a full locksmith service and home security advice and recommendations to ensure your home and family are adequately protected.
Here are some Top Tips to keeping yourself, your family and your home secure
1. Professional Security Survey – includes checking all door and window locks comply with BS3621 standards. External door security check, window security check, outbuildings security check. Recommendations for improvement and additional security to meet your needs. Rocks Locks offer Free security surveys. Book yours today – Call 07900 335525.
2. Review Access Requirements – needs change over time. If you have children, there will come a time that they become more independent and require access at different times to you. You may also have domestic helpers entering the home, a carer, a house or pet sitter who require access only at certain times. If you feel a more flexible, but controlled access to your home could be beneficial you may like to consider a digital external door lock system such as a Yale Smart Lock which allows flexible access and keyless entry.
3. Outdoor Security –Gravel paths and driveways are a deterrent to burglars as the crunching stones will alert anyone who happens to be close by. Flood lights triggered by movement sensors are also a good deterrent however it is unlikely you will cover all boundaries with security lighting. Good strong fencing or boundary walls, and a gate with bolts that are not accessible from the front will also provide some additional protection. CCTV is becoming a more popular option for many, particularly those in higher risk, secluded areas.
4. Upgrade and Replacement of Door Locks – lock technology has moved on a lot in the last few years. If you are still relying on front and back door locks that are over 15 years old, then you could be putting your home at risk as intruders can probably by-pass your old locks fairly easily. We recommend a 5-lever mortice deadlock or a Euro lock cylinder, which is extremely popular for uPVC doors.
5. Double Glazing – single glazed windows are easy to break and are a common entry point for burglars. Replacing your single glazed windows with double glazing can be a costly project, and if you have a Grade II listed property, you may struggle to get Permissions to do this, but if you can upgrade your windows, even if it is only the ground floor windows, it is strongly recommended to do so if security is a concern.
Rocks Locks is a family run locksmithing business in Camberley, Surrey. We are on call 24/7 for locksmith emergencies. If you are interested in a FREE Home Security Survey, please call Stuart Rock on 07900 335525 or visit www.rocks-locks.co.uk